Friday, April 3, 2009

With a grain of salt

On my way back to Denmark, I try really hard to be fashionably disappointed about it but I can't. What is there to like...definitely not the weather, the prices, the taxes, the rules and sometimes not even the Danes themselves depending on which time of the year.

A lot of my Filipino and expat friends in Denmark have heard me complain numerous times about how hard it is to get a foothold in Denmark. My last sojourn in the country has changed all that and have made me realize the good things about living in Denmark. The fact that I get thrown into the circle of Danes, Scandinavians and Northern Europeans in general when we are out on posts, for one, helps a lot not only in understanding and getting used to their way of thinking but most importantly to feel comfortable within it. Call it a sense of belongingness, if you will.

Though not instantaneous and mostly by luck, I can safely say that I have met the most wonderful Danes (at the risk of sounding like sucking up to a culture), not just outside Denmark but also within which of course, is an important key to a happy existence in an adoptive country. In Denmark, what you see is what you get (which may not sit well with some) but at least you know exactly what you're up against. No two ways about it.

I love how Denmark brings out my creative and resourceful side when it comes to saving money without having to give up what's important in life. I love how it forces me to be organized (about everything) including the most mundane like my grocery list, afterall, I plan our material acquisitions based on what's on 'tilbud'.

Life outside Denmark (mostly in 3rd world countries) can be easy to the point of (at times) being meaningless. You do things and spend on things because you can. In Denmark, you have to choose wisely and therefore end up prioritizing.

Most of all, I miss bantering with the Danes on how Denmark may NOT be the best at everything but definitely the best at some things. At the end of the day, it's intellectual stimulation that gets us at some point. Danes are good sports if one can defend ones theories. At the very least, they are polite enough to end a discussion with a 'skål'.

Lastly, if and when I do get to speak fluent danish, how many can say that they speak a language that only 5 million others do.


Bookmark and Share

1 Comment:

SHIMI said...

hi
nice to here