Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Oooppps, they did it again!

This time for a shorter period, 2 days, I'm talking about my internet connection. Our service, AGAIN, was suspended for non-payment, and AGAIN for the same reason.....the bill was not delivered on time. Sometimes we feel that they do it deliberately. Not that Cablenet gets anything out of it because as far as I understand, there's no reconnection fee. Only the inconvenience of not having internet connection while they are resolving the matter. Resolution means that they either send us the bill, finally, or check their records thoroughly. I'm not well-versed in this matter as the bills are paid in T's office. The procedure is for the bills to be delivered here at home, so I can check that they are correct (which I honestly do only erratically) - plus I really want to monitor our utilities usage - then immediately handed to T, so he can pay it in his office, together with other utility bills. Reconnection is therefore handled on T's end, why I don't know if we pay a fee for it or not.

Before I continue, let me digress a bit by saying that T hates to owe anyone anything, personal favors included, if can be helped - and that includes financial institutions. Talk about us living within our means. I didn't have to adjust on this part of his personality when I married him because my grandfather is exactly the same. Amazing how 2 culturally diverse people can be alike in so many ways. In both cases, credit card bills are paid on time...the moment they arrive and the whole amount to boot, no minimum payments for these two. I remember when my grandfather gave me my first brand new car as a gift that took a loooong time to process (imagine my agitation) because he wanted to put down 80% down payment and the balance to pay in one year - soured the deal for most financial institutions as they won't get anything out of it....just paper work. I have a feeling I'm worse though because if it's not something I can pay in cash, then I don't buy it. Simple shopping mantra by the way...for a shopaholic...no cash-no buy...no cash-no buy...ohhhmmmm.

I used to joke that the banks might not consider us to have a good credit standing because it would appear that we don't have credit ha-ha.

So just imagine us living in a country where most bills are delivered after the due date where we have to pay interest or penalty fees...just because_______ (I'll leave this blank because dog knows what's going on at their end).

An interesting case in point... Adolfo our driver has added another task to his multi-tasking list. Not only is he V's driver, body-guard, friend, soccer mom, cheerer, our part-time gardener, all-around fix-it guy (around the house), pet groomer...he has started a bill pick-up service too (well, just for us). For the past 3 months the social security bill has been consistently arriving past the due payment date and the succeeding bill always reflects the penalty of late payment. We have talked to them many times about this and yes, the famous shoulder shrug at its most elegant, is what we get. We just have to pay...regardless. Asked why that is, I swear they really gave this answer: there's no one to deliver! My Spanish may not be perfect but it's advanced enough for me to understand that one!

So having been defeated by the system, I have decided to have him pick-up the bill if it hasn't arrived on a given date. Yes, I succumbed (head hanging low). This means that every month, we now have to go to their office 3 times (well, once in the bank to pay). 1. to pick-up the bill; 2. to pay it; and 3. to verify payment - a week or so after (so the empleados can use their seguro anytime when they need it) where they have to stamp or sign or whatever it is they need to do with the papers to reflect updated payment.

Now, I only have to compute my gas usage to see how much damage it's doing me...hmmm. At the end of the day, my costs doesn't really matter as I don't want to give them the satisfaction of conducting business without scruples. Right now I am in Nicaragua, yes, but I would have done the same if I am in the Philippines - but then this I haven't experienced there. For all the Philippines' faults, at least customer service is highlighted and short of bending over backwards we try to resolve matters in a positive manner or at the very least try to give a proper answer instead of just shrugging our shoulders. I Should know...I worked in Sales / Marketing / Customer Service all my working life while I was there.

0 Comments: