Sunday, July 27, 2008

Waxing Nostalgic

Off to the supermarket. What started out as a normal Saturday turned nostalgic when I found, of all things, frozen corndogs in La Union Supermarket (a Walmart Central America Company). It's seldom we visit La Union although it's a favorite to some, for practical reasons. Hiper La Colonia, the supermarket I favor is 1. closer to where I live, 2. the credit institution we use gives us a perennial savings of 5% on all purchases, 3. I find the fully automated check-out system more convenient and faster - meaning all discounts are automatically reflected in the cash register without or very little manual processing.

The offerings at the fresh meat, fruits and vegetables sections some say are fresher than those that can be found in La Colonia but I have had no problems buying meat in La Colonia, besides most of the meat we cook in the house are either bought at Pricemart or Bavaria. One must also be careful in comparing prices because even if La Union advertises to be cheaper (or known to be so), unless you remember exactly how much particular items cost in La Colonia, they could be more expensive in La Union. Ex. the coffee I buy in La Colonia that costs about C$60, costs C$72 in La Union or the apples we bought yesterday that sells for C$12@ in La Colonia, sells for C$15@ in La Union. Shop on Wednesday evenings when La Colonia have fruits and veggies at half price, add the 5% credit card discount and voila, La Colonia comes out the winner in long term savings.

There are some imported products that can be found in La Union that neither La Colonia nor Pricemart carry like T's fave roastbeef to mention one and surprise, surprise....frozen corndogs (about C$70 for 6)!

The last time I've had them was at Disneyworld (Epcot) this summer and I love those darn dogs (pun intended). I remember having them mostly back in the Philippines since I was just a little kid up until I was in Highschool. They were my favorite (amongst many other local and exotic) snack. They were sold mostly in malls and some canteens just outside my school.

Amazing how a simple corn dog can bring back pleasant childhood memories, not unlike smelling a whiff of familiar perfume or just some random odor (desirable or undesirable) for that matter. Friends I haven't seen for ages (ones I shared corn dog moments with), tennis, my favorite pair of crayons shoes, piano lessons, street games I used to play and faceless playmates came to mind. I didn't realize how much of those corn dogs (and carbohydrates!) I have consumed....until now.



Bookmark and Share

0 Comments: