Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Nicaraguan furniture

As mentioned in my previous post, Masatepe is where one can find local furniture shops lining the streets. I went there to look for a 'Mimbre' (wicker) set for la terraza, below are some of my finds:



My choice would be the bottom-right photo (yes, I needed a model to see that), with D's help. They don't differ much from each other except in price and workmanship. This set costs around $C 13,000 (down from $C 15,000, after haggling), which is about $721.00 at today's exchange rate plus delivery charge of around $C200 and most likely, additional cost for a glass top for the center table to render it useful. I may also need to buy 2 rocking chairs (a favorite furniture here), in addition, to be able to host coffee or tea mornings for about 10 people. A rocking chair here depending on the kind of wood used and material for the seats, may cost anywhere between $200 - 400.

We have bought furniture from stores in Masatepe where our favorite would be one that's called Muebleria El Chele. This particular shop is 'supposedly' known for their workmanship in indoor furniture using hardwood.


Quality and price are sadly the 2 things that are not consistent here in Nicaragua (from my experience) where the term 'preferred customer' doesn't exist.....yet. Therefore, be prepared to haggle each time (regardless how many times you have bought from that store) because the mantra seems to be: a foreigner is a foreigner and will (or should) always pay (a lot) more. Eventually, one gets used to it and becomes second nature. It has never been a problem for me, coming from Asia where haggling is considered a sport, but when the price quoted is 50-100% more than what it's normally sold for, even I get uncomfortable.

My advise would be to go around and get a 'feel' of the prices before committing to anything and that goes for most of the purchases you would do here. You'd be amazed at how much the prices for the same item varies once you've been around.

If it's quality of wood, design and workmanship we're talking about, the best place in my opinion to buy from would be Simplemente Madera.....if money is no object, that is. Hmmmm, why do does it remind me of Scandinavian design...(?)


Bookmark and Share

1 Comment:

Anonymous said...

Your life in Nicaragua sounds so interesting and I love the humour with which you write about it...this is one place I have never been to but probably have a lot of preconceived notions about. I would love to keep stopping by here to read, and find out whether my notions are actually right!

Thanks for stopping by my place the other day...I'm glad you did! I'll be adding you to my blog roll.

bella :)