Sunday, August 10, 2008

The week that was

So many things to share, not enough brain cells to process them all at once and less energy to put them in writing. I have been in a languid mood, to say the least, after coming back from the beach. I am in fact pushing myself to sit down and write, only to be able to say that there is indeed ONE thing that I have followed through with diligence, albeit intermittently....this Blog! I need a muse.

To tag the other topics properly and for coherence sake, except for the reason why we went to the beach so soon after summer vacation and the practical information regarding the beach club itself, let me just describe how my week went:

Gym

I joined the gym....after 12 years (it's true!!!) of procrastination and guilt in denying my body the exercise it needs. The last time I knowingly went somewhere to purposely stretch, move and sweat was to a taebo class back in the Philippines and only for 3 months (1 hour x 3x a week to me was already a lot). Even then, I would have excuses to miss some classes - I don't have time outside of work, finish a report, I had a headache or a party to go to (I took the evening sessions). My only other form of exercise was playing tennis....sometimes, and golf ...less than sometimes (too hot to walk 18 holes but wouldn't be caught dead (too young) riding a golf car).

When I stopped working, my excuses changed (depending where I was) too, of course. Expensive and too cold (Denmark), too far and too dangerous (Nairobbery, umm Nairobi, I mean). My excuses in Denmark held some truth while the ones in Kenya were obviously lame as the security situation there did not deter us from having an active social life. I don't have any valid reason not to go to the gym here in Nicaragua. I have plenty of time on my hands, nice temperature almost whole year round, reasonable gym fees (except for Club Terraza where membership starts at around $10,000 + monthly dues) ranging from $20-50 a month.

As I'm a sucker for recommendations and a firm believer that exercise should be fun, an excuse to meet new friends and should not be a tough regimen (unlike: 'give me 50 soldier' - I'm a lame duck, I know) and least of all, a financial burden, Club Terraza is out of the question - even if I live only a few blocks from the place. It is afterall a club but apparently a very cliquish one at that.

Finally, after almost 2 years of (non) looking, I found the gym I wanted to join, courtesy of my fave dama and salsa classmate, S. Studio-Gimnasio Illusiones that can be found at:

Frente a la UNI (In front of UNI)
Tel No.: (505) 277 5557

I swear, that's the listed address, UNI being a well known university here in Managua. I know how to get there from my house and at the risk of coming by my place first before arriving there, if interested, call them at their listed number above for specific directions.

I like the atmosphere in Illusiones, cozy and friendly, like all other Pellas owned companies (i.e Casa Pellas - car dealership; Vivian Pellas - Hospital; etc). Although modest in size, Illusioness offers many different types of exercise (aerobics, rythm, gym, step, belly dancing (?) Flamenco ) and dance classes (ballet, jazz and jazz for teenagers) with a modest but sufficiently equipped gym.

Price ranges from $35-50 monthly depending on which combination of classes you want to take. I took the the $50 a month to include everything except jazz and ballet, just to be flexible. The belly dancing poses a dilemma as that's one part of me (on top of a host of others) I wanted to lose in the process...less to jiggle with. FYI, they give a $10 /month discount if you sign-up for the $50 combo for 3 months ($120 total). If there's anything that will make sure I consistently attend classes (right now, besides the gym, I attend step and aerobics) is ......advance payment.

Influenza

There is an epidemic going around, influenza, as La Prensa reports, which has claimed the lives of a significant number of children. Known as the 'flu', I think and 'trangkaso' in the Philippines. This is one virus that, as we know it back home, never leaves the house until everyone has been struck by it. A tropical virus, I surmise, that lasts for 5 - 7 days, accompanied by muscle pain, fever, throat infection and phlegm. T has been struck by the virus (along with some of his colleagues at work). I myself have had it many times before back in the Philippines and normally doesn't pose any real danger except to undernourished toddlers or younger and very old people (pneumatic complications). Cure normally consists of Paracetamol, a lot of rest (staying in bed), sleep and loads of water (there is real danger in dehydration specially for young children).

So, 5 days babysitting so far (including today).

Catarina, San Juan de Oriente, Masatepe, Lago de Apoyo, Masaya Revisited

It's been awhile since I've been to these places, no more than 30 mins away from Managua. We have a new spouse (D) in town at the Danish Embassy and since I was looking for outdoor furniture, I thought it was a good time to take her along. For furniture (whether indoor or outdoor), I really only needed to go to Masatepe to see what they have (anything new), new supplier to order from (my own design) or how much they go for at the moment. But since I was taking D with me, why not make a sight-seeing trip out of it. These are the same places I take visiting relatives and friends to for a half day's trip.

Catarina, a town one will have to pass through going South of Managua (alternative routes are the Granada Highway and Jinotepe). Catarina has a highway that connects to the Pan-American Highway that eventually brings you to Rivas (where most of the Pacific beach resorts are) and all the way to the Costa Rican border (about 4 hours away from Managua). Some call it the 'hell road' (besides Diriamba) because of the potholes (centimeters apart) that littered the semi-paved and truck abused road. A really bad condition for such an important thoroughfare. Amazingly, this is a thing of the past (like 2 months ago past) as it has now been paved and therefore a breeze to traverse.

Catarina is where one can buy various plants for the garden and all other accoutrement to beautify the same (where I got my bird bath and ethnic inspired plant holders). It is also in this town (near the iglesia - church) where one finds the 'Mirador' over looking Lago de Apoyo (Lake Apoyo), A mere 20 mins from Managua.

Masatepe, the furniture mecca of Nicaragua.

Masaya, is the town where one can find the Mercado de Artisania, everything Nicaraguan, from hammocks to cigars, leather and woodwork - all in one place. This is a very touristy place as these products are brought to Masaya from all over Nicaragua so make sure you haggle.

San Juan de Oriente is only worth going to if you are passing through Catarina, anyway. It is a block of stores selling artesanias of mostly clay. you will find the usual clay wind chimes (god forbid the winds of Nicaragua actually touch them as they will break and pulverize - I hang mine against the wall....inside the house - pretty to behold). Again, haggle as if your life depends on it.

Mirador de Catarina (shown in an old photo - taken Dec 2006 - on the right) is where one can have a breath taking view of Lago de Apoyo. On higher ground, therefore pleasant temperatures all year round. We make sure that we are there near lunchtime to partake of lunch while enjoying the tranquil sight of the Lake.

As for the route itself, I normally do it in this order:

1. Masaya Highway (Carretera a Masaya - Highway to Masaya)
2. Masatepe (off Catarina Road)
- go back to Catarina Road
3. San Juan de Oriente (off Catarina Road)
-go back to Catarina Road and turn back towards
4. Catarina
5. Mirador
6. Masaya

Ladies' Coffee Morning (Danish Embassy spouses)

It's not as formal as the title implies nor is it a regular thing. It's one of those times when you say, let's meet up one of these days and have coffee. Well, this one pushed through. It was actually G's idea, our ambassador's wife (a formidable woman in her own right), held at D's place (remember the new comer?) and attended by 5 people, yes, we are one of the smaller (only by number of expats and not as a donor - I believe Denmark is one of the top 3 donor countries in terms of aid to Nicaragua) embassies here in Managua, after Norway, Switzerland, Iceland and Luxembourg. It was cozy and fun and hopefully becomes more regular than it is right now.

I remember when I first came and inquired about meeting the other spouses (which was understandably, first and foremost on my list), I was asked which group I wanted to join...the English or the Spanish group(??????) I thought I would do well as I still spoke a higher degree of fluency of danish at that time, in a Danish or English group (until I can chit-chat in Spanish, of course) ...but there were only 5 of us altogether with 2 of them men. Why the divide? Language does play an important role in one's social life here in Nicaragua.

For the curious, let me just breakdown the current spouses' language prowess:

G - Danish, English, Spanish - fluent
D - Danish, English - Fluent; Spanish - In the process of learning but picking it up fast (she just got here)
I - Originally hails from Argentina but is a Finnish citizen - is fluent in Spanish, Finnish and English
M - Although not a spouse (she's the expat - her spouse is from Chile and is fluent in both Spanish and Danish) is fluent in all 3 languages like G
And then there's me who speaks this and that but can better express myself if I can use all of them.....in one sentence, sigh.

English (all Danes speak english but not so many Latinos do) being the language we had in common helped...so, english it was.

Bookmark and Share

0 Comments: