Saturday, April 19, 2008

Arabian Night

T & I attended a party last night with an Arabian theme. Everyone brought Middle Eastern cuisine - as authentic as we can make them given the ingredients we can get our hands on. Our hosts S & B provided an authentic atmosphere that really made the night Arabian.
Since we received the invitation, I have wracked my brains on what T & I are going to wear. There are places here where you can rent or buy costumes, while renting runs between $20 - 30, buying them costs of course a lot more depending on how intricate it is and we know how intricate women's Arabian costumes can get. An example would be S' top which she found at a shop in Metrocentro that cost $40. It's supposed to be a set but they sell the bottom separately for another $40. Since I need a new costume anyway (I have a leopard costume that I have been using year after year, for the last 7 years - it's about time.), I thought I should buy one or try to have one made. I found out that between the 'tela', the 'shing-a-lings' (you know - the shiny dangling stuff - for lack of a better name) and the labor, I'd end up shelling out more than $50 or so. Well, not bad compared to $80.

I vaguely remembered having seen something in Mercado Oriental when I was there last with A but wasn't sure if they still had it or if it's feasible, so off I went with S to check it out - Mercado Oriental is always worth checking out! Voila....for $ 20 problem solved. For T, I bought 4 yards (width: 60) of gauze like cotton material for a total of $6, cut a whole in the middle and tied it with a belt. The turban was borrowed from B and is authentic from India (about 10 meters...just for that whew).
M brought belly dancing music to complete the atmosphere. Everyone (and I mean every single one) came in well thought of costumes that made it all the more festive. It was a great evening.
Have you ever been to a costume party where you bothered to come in costume but ended up looking ridiculous because quite a few did not bother to dress up....I have....many times.

We've really met some great people here.

0 Comments: