Monday, April 14, 2008

Sailing Bruce with the Kjaerbys

Okey bear with me in this one as the primary characters (husband and wife) have the same initials. C (hubby) works with a Danish NGO while C (spouse) is a very talented singer with a thriving singing career (known and popular in her country as far as I understand) back in Peru. Theirs is a really interesting love story...one that can make you go ooohhh and aaahhh (sigh). She left fame behind to be with her husband and support him in his work. A beautiful person and a wonderful cook (I seem to be the only spouse lacking in this department). Both are as I have gleaned, wonderful parents as evidenced by their sweet, well-mannered and well-grounded children.

As for C (hubby), aside from his family and his job, his other great passion is his sail boat called 'Bruce'. Bruce also has a story behind it.

K cleaning Bruce
It probably happened about 15 years ago, when C was in his early 20s, after university or a bit after (like any viking) itched to see the world (T did the same). So, this young Dane backpacked with his good buddy. While in the Caribbean, they traveled in Kayaks when they can. At that very moment, a certain American named Bruce was at the same time sailing from one Caribbean island to another and kept hearing about these 2 crazy Danes kayaking their way through the Caribbean and almost always comes to port even before him and his boat.

With his curiosity piqued, Bruce decided to seek them out. Found them, he did and the rest is history. It was Bruce that introduced sailing to C or C to sailing, whatever, but that's when C realized his passion for sailing. Bruce taught him everything about sailing and for that C is forever grateful to Bruce. Bruce's dream is to cross the Atlantic but many things prevented him from fulfilling his dream. Age and health are just some of them. In honor of his mentor, C named his boat Bruce and crossed the Atlantic with it. At the end, 'Bruce' did manage to cross the Atlantic. Bruce at the moment is terminally ill but have tremendously enjoyed C's story of crossing the Atlantic. I was almost in tears when T told me the story.

On this trip, I was already thrilled to be on the boat and never expected C to let me help sail it, let alone navigate it. C is a good captain if you ask me as he knew exactly how to make us work and gave explicit instructions that even I was able to follow.

T & C preparing Bruce
We went towards the mangroves which was a relief to me as I cannot imagine sailing on the open sea...yet. We always get good wind here in Nicaragua but coming back was, although a struggle, exciting as the wind blew against us. We had to zigzag and just before crashing on the mangroves at 3 - 6 feet depth, needed to change the direction of the sail fast. We must have done it at least 20 times before we could dock. We ran aground once, causing me to fly across the boat (well almost across the length of the boat - okay, a bit of exaggeration for dramatic effect) that made it all the more exciting. Now, not only can I walk around proudly with blistered hands but I also have a chafed thigh and bruised knee to show for it. That's should make it more believable (did I say it was my first time to sail?) - right, like anyone who knows me would really believe it.

I admire C (spouse) most as she was making lunch at that very moment, boiling sauce and all. Experts, that's what they are.

Cand V working the sails on our way out and me taking over from V after awhile.

After that, C & I worked the sail until we docked...the men thought it was funny and although smiling (photo op, after all), we thought it was hard and painful. I can't say I loved it but I had fun and don't mind doing it again.

I really surprised T with the way I worked the sail. In Denmark, when I have to do hard manual labor I always whine about what it's gonna do to my palms. Palms that are like a baby's a*s, I like to say...inviting a fast retort from T about them being more like a gorilla baby's a*s maybe (chuckle), or the first animal that comes to mind. So, it doesn't work.

This morning, I of course woke up with sore biceps. I was ready for that...I knew that's how rarely used muscles feel once they've been put to work.

This may not sound much to some but this goes in my bucket list anyway because I don't know if I'm gonna do it again but if I do, I'd be sure to have gloves with me.

Hmmm, notice how I have been cheating by working on my bucket list backwards?

1 Comment:

MarbellaStyle said...

I Love! I Love! I Love the blog! My God I can't believe the last time we've seen each other was more than 4 years ago? The Viking and yourself are still hotness! And your son...he is so guapo!
Anyway, Nicaragua sounds fun. it would be on my next travel plan. :) I have bookmarked you, girl.
Disfruta la vida Y hasta la proxima.

Besos desde España.