Wednesday, April 2, 2008

And life goes on....again

Fever in the brain. I vaguely remember reading a story by Edgar Allan Poe, not with this same title but along the lines of how fever eats you up inside a limb at a time until it gets to your brain. Macabre indeed. It's just one of those memories that suddenly visits you when you lie awake with your high fever as company. I read Edgar Allan Poe as a child...now that's macabre.

Maybe it's just me but being sick almost always brings back childhood memories. Happy memories. Warm memories. It wasn't fair for me to blame expat life for wanting back all things familiar. What I said about my grandmother was true, of course, but I could be in the Philippines at that moment when I wanted her most and still she won't be there.

She passed away 12 years ago. I'm glad I've missed her...as she deserves to be missed and remembered for all the things that she was. The epitome of what I hope to be for my family...a pillar of strength and much more. Life sometimes get in the way of remembering and if it takes a fever in the brain to do that, then I look forward to my next 'trangkaso'.

0 Comments: