Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Browsing Martha day

Although we entertained before expatriation, it was not as often as when living abroad. Entertaining opens doors to get to know like-minded people which makes for an easier more pleasant and fun posting experience. Half the time, it is work-related and therefore obligatory.

It is cheap to entertain in the Philippines. There you can have every occasion catered (in our case up to over 100 sometimes) even the simplest ones, or invite people for a private function in a public restaurant for a third of what it will cost you elsewhere. So there was really no need for advices, solicited or otherwise, except from your caterer, of course. The type of entertaining we did in the Philippines did not apply to Denmark, Kenya and even here in Nicaragua, it is just prohibitively expensive.

In asking my domestic diva friends, I found out that there's so many money-saving tips I can get from Martha's site without compromising the quality of entertaining. Prior to my moving abroad, I didn't know Martha Stewart except probably for her infamous incarceration or house arrest at the very least and her spat with Donald the tower guy. Now, I'm hooked.

Today, while visiting Martha Stewart's Site, I checked out 'The Martha Stewart Blog' and there stumbled into the 'Hostess (with the mostess)' blog site. Under 'get inspired' are some of the cutest things I have seen. I came across these adorable and unbelievably cute cup cakes, for instance.

More photos of Hello Naomi's adorable cupcakes can be found here.

On the same blog, check out the review of 'Colin Cowie Chic: The Guide to Life As It Should Be'. Looks good to buy to me but I'm a sucker for good advice and good deals (about $20) and if my table can look this good, why not.

You'd think that between Martha, Emily, the hostess herself and maybe in future, with Colin's help too, I'd be able to host a chic party? Given the number of years I've been doing this...I've a loooong way to go. But then I pick up good things a long the way. Poco a poco.

0 Comments: