Monday, February 11, 2008

Where is HOME?

Ours is an inter-cultural marriage which complicates further the concept of where home is. I have spent more than half of my adult life in the Philippines to not consider it at some level, home. Although I don't miss it as much as I did the first time I left, it beckons me. In fact, I plan to retire there (shhh, don't tell T). I'm sure T feels exactly the same about Denmark . It would be so easy to say that 'home is where the heart is'. But what if our hearts are not in the same place.

Home is where The Core is. The solution came when the movie 'The Core' came out. The Core obviously is T, V & myself. It sounds corny even to me specially this moment, when I'm actually writing it but we needed to come up with something for V to really understand the underlying concept of 'home ' or feeling at home. He is after all a 3rd culture kid. With all the challenges of moving, changing schools & environment, gaining and losing friends all within a years time each time, he must already be experiencing frustration & loss in his young life. We strongly believe that a semblance of an anchored life should help him feel secure about himself in his ever changing environment and that anchor should be the core. That even if everything else changes around him, T & M would always be a constant. So far this process of thinking has worked for all of us (yes including T and myself). Home is where The Core is on this planet or beyond, as long as we are together.

0 Comments: