Monday, March 31, 2008

When expat life really sucks

Borrowing the title from a forum on Expat-blog, which I'm a member of, is used here in a different context. In Expat-blog, it's answering a question a member put forth about how you pull yourself out of it...if and when it does, by your own definition of suck!

It only sucks right now for me because I'm sick with the flu. In the Philippines, we call it 'trangkaso'. It's when on top of a high fever your bones ache too...you ache all over. My head is pounding and I don't have the strength to do anything much less type.

I felt it coming last Friday but still managed to party this Saturday which, of course, only made it worse.

I'm the healthiest or strongest in the family. I seldom get sick...I can't afford to get sick. I take care of the sick in this family...the way my grandmother did in ours. I miss her.

I somehow knew I had it coming what with the hot (Cartagena) - cold (Bogota) - hot (Nicaragua) changes that I have just been through. Thank goodness, T & V hasn't got it but if it is what it is (trangkaso), then it doesn't leave the house until it has gone through everyone in it.

It doesn't help that my empleada cannot come today also, some problems of her own just right after taking a 10 day vacation while we were away. My problems are my problems and her problems are mine. She doesn't work when we're away and therefore has only been working half the year last year (that's how much I've been away from here).

It sucks when:

1. You're sick
2. The kitchen looks like hell and there's nothing you can do about it
3. You write people back home and you don't hear a peep
4. You still have to cook
5. I miss my grandmother
6. You have to do your son's lunch pack and food hoping he doesn't pick up whatever it is you've got. But you've got to do it anyway
7. Hubby tries to do so much but has got his own challenges
8. I miss my grandmother
9. You want to be pampered but there's just no one to do it to you - well not in the way my grandmother did
10. I miss my grandmother's chicken soup
11. You live on peanut butter as that's the only strength you have for
12. A friend calls you to say...'get a blood test, it could be dengue'
13. You're sick and alone and still have to think about dinner

3 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Ay Meloy, don't worry too much. Kayang kaya mo labanan ang trangkaso. Trangkaso lang yan. It really sucks when you are not feeling well. Smile (",). Praying for your quick recovery. Antique.

Melody said...

Yeah, 'coz that's when you realize how far away you are from everything familiar. It's comforting to know you're here somewhere reading this blog. Thanks

Anonymous said...

I am a fan. I always read your blog everyday. So, keep on writing, girl. How's the flu? I hope you feel better now. Antique