Sunday, June 8, 2008

How much is your blog worth

In my desperate attempt to make my blog look like......I have no idea (talk about a cat chasing its own tail), I stumbled upon interesting sites via my favorite tutorials and widget source sites, in particular Amanda's Blog, Blogger Buster. This site has provided me easy-to-follow instructions on how to enhance my blog, via some simple tweaks and useful widgets specially designed for the Blogger platform (am not sure I have the right terms, but yeah, whatever.... maybe 2 years from now I'll be talking like a real blogger (sigh)).

Not to digress further (as usual), I came across an interesting link in Amanda's blog to an applet over at Dane Carlson's blog, Business Opportunities Weblog, that calculates how much your blog might be worth. Before any hostile take-over rears its ugly head, it helps to know how much your rants, musings, misadventures, manifestations of mood swings and PMS related writings are worth (okay, I'm specifically talking about MY blog). Apparently, my rants, musings, misadventures, etc. are worth (drumroll):


Nothing.

I can't say I was surprised but optimism took over so I tried again....and again....and again. All of a sudden, realization hit me...the applet wasn't working! That could only be it! I do put in my 2 cents worth for each post and multiply that by the number of posts - in my own, ah, um, uhrrm calculation, well, um, it should be worth something huh.

I typed in the URL address of a friends' blog.... Whoa $55,324.92!!! Just to be sure, I typed in another friends' URL ad...$11,084.38...hmmm.

Alright, maybe AOL wouldn't give a rat's as* about my blog and neither would Microsoft (sigh).

The applet was designed based on Tristan Louis' research of the variables (networks and links) involved in the 2005 acquisition of Weblogs, Inc. by AOL, assigned monetary values and created using Technocrati's API (application programming interface). It's disputed by some who believes that blog traffic should be the primary consideration in valuing a blog but doesn't traffic and link go hand-in-hand? The bigger your network, with more blogs / websites linking to you, the more traffic is driven to your site. Anyway, don't listen to me, I tend to blabber about things I barely know about (sometimes...like now), just head on to this site for a much, much, much better explanation.

You see, I didn't take it personally and neither should you - unless you seriously plan to monetize your blog, then I suggest you heed the numbers. Depending on what comes up, you may want to implement plan B (like ummm regular employment? for instance) first while rethinking plan A.

There's really no harm in knowing.....that no buy-out looms on the horizon. Try it, you might be pleasantly surprised. At the very least, Dane Carlson's Blog provides a wealth of information in regards to home-based businesses for stay-at-home moms, new entrepreneurs, helpful links, tips and success stories.

Happy browsing.

Bookmark and Share

0 Comments: