Monday, June 23, 2008

The loneliest month of the year

If there is at all any, it could very well be June. June is when most expats leave a post or go on their long summer vacation. Transition normally runs between May, June, July and August for most but since expats take the vacations they have accumulated before moving on to the next post that would most likely start in September, most will be on vacation in June and July. This would also be the time when expats who aren't due to change post take a month to a couple of months break. If you are one of the few who have decided to stay put for that season, then you better have many local friends or family visiting.

If I am right about June then that makes April & May (together with September and December) the busiest months of the year when social calendars burst with invites. September is of course when the next batch of expats arrive where welcome parties or dinners would be in order while April and May, dotted with 'despedida' parties here and there.

Our vacation starts late this year due to T's commitments (what else is new), which, by the way, I don't begrudge him. Most of our friends have already either left for good or have gone on their long vacation, so it's pretty quiet right now...in my world that is. That doesn't mean that it is quiet here in Nicaragua as this is the time when tourists abound. Just recently (I think only a week ago), Matthew McConaughey was here (in San Juan del Sur) surfing his buns out during the day and partying his guts out at night.

At this time of the year, the hot spots in Nicaragua (read: popular beaches) would also be expensive; ex. our favorite place on the Pacific, Hacienda Iguana where you can rent a beachfront condo unit (2 BR) for between $170-200 per night would now cost around $300-350 and most likely be fully booked, giving you less options while in-country.

We are going on our vacation still albeit shorter than usual (3 weeks) and quite late. This couple of weeks have been a tad lonely, thank god I've been kept busy by V and preparing for our vacation (don't get me started on the papers we needed to do this). On one hand, I appreciated having been kept busy but am a bit annoyed at all the ridiculous requirements (am just hinting but will spill my guts when this vacation is over) we had to fulfill to do this. So, am I excited? I guess so, at some level I always am if going to a new place. I'm just amazed at the irony of how technology has developed to make it easier for people to travel while all else pertinent to the act of traveling itself remains inconvenient. Absurd.

Anyway, I guess what I'm really trying to say is that I am taking my leave for some weeks, in case you bother to pop by and don't see a new post. But that also means that (hopefully) I would have plenty to write about under the 'travels' tag.

Bookmark and Share

1 Comment:

Barbara said...

Hi !
It's always a pleasure to meet other expats. Thank you a lot for popping by my blog.
Have a great vacation !
This year, I'am renewing the ties with the homeland in Sept. I really can't afford to go back to the US every year. But, when I do, I have a great time !

I'll be checking you out a little later.
Hasta la vista ( remnants of college Spanish ;) )