Friday, June 6, 2008

Managua Shopping Tip #2

I know from scouring various malls in Managua (there are many which in most days are depressingly empty), that there are, so far, 4 Benetton outlets in the city:

1. La Galeria
2. Centro Commercial Managua (2)
3. Centro de Las Americas (Huembes Road, near the turn-off to the highway that leads to the airport)

What I have found out recently, though, is that their products move between these outlets depending on turn-over. The primary outlet, obviously is La Galeria as it caters to the high-end market and all new products are therefore introduced there at regular (outrageous) prices. Although it may seem that they hardly mount any 'sale' campaigns, they actually do, only with very light discounts (5-30% off) that still comes out expensive due to their high profit margins (I have compared prices between the US, Italy, Denmark, Colombia, Panama and Nicaragua). At the end it really doesn't feel like they are having a sale.

It's not fair for me to have judged them in the past because upon visiting the 2 other stores, I realized that the products that are not doing well are moved to store #2 and sold at 'regular' prices lower than in store #1 or put up on sale with bigger discounts, to cater to mid-market consumers. Ex. a suitcase in store #1 would be priced between $215 - 240 plus 15% sales tax, while the same suitcase after maybe (1 year or so - yup, that's the kicker, but who cares, I certainly don't) will be sold for about $120. As to store #3, you'll find there all other discards (children's clothes, shirts /pants /skirts (men & women) but no big ticket items like suitcases) on huge discount, ex. a Sisley dress for $30. If I remember correctly the Benetton franchise here also sell Esprit and Sisley.

I highly recommend checking out the Benetton shop at Centro de las Americas as it's hard to differentiate between 'new arrival' fashion and old stocks (if you ask me)...they kind of have the same look to me.

0 Comments: