Thursday, June 19, 2008

Midnight snack

As far back as I can remember, I have always taken a midnight snack. It is a special time my grandmother and I shared and a very effective way to infuriate my uncle due to all the racket I make in the kitchen at, well, midnight. When I say snack, I mean all sorts of nourishment representing either one or a combination of the food group. It could be left-over dinner, fried chicken and rice, pasta, anything and everything that catches my fancy and is available in the cupboard, kitchen or the freezer. If I haven't pictured it clearly yet, as snack, I really meant 'meal'. 2nd dinner, if you will (6th meal for the day), except if at that moment I fancied eggs and bacon, then it will come in the form of breakfast.

See, I'm one of those who can eat the whole table without gaining weight. In fact, that ritual started because my grandmother was desperate for me to put some more on. Not that I did not eat, ok, I was a bit picky, but I ate and when I do, I eat like a lumberjack who just felled more than his quota. Between my 30 and 42 (up until a month ago) years, I have see-sawed between 98 and 105 lbs (my BMI dictates I should be 115 lbs at 5'5"). So I thought, no harm in continuing what I have been accustomed to.

Sure, except that lately I have started eating pancakes at midnight, replete with butter and syrup. That, I have been enjoying the past week while the cat (you do know who I mean) is away. T has never said anything about my habit except for a comment and a question here and there...'how can you do it?'...'aren't you worried sleeping on a full stomach?'...'don't you think you should take a walk before going to bed?' I guess now I will have to, take a walk I mean. In weighing myself (just now), I realized I have even exceeded my ideal weight by 2 lbs. A big deal because most of my clothes, specially my jeans will fit me, tops at 102 lbs (my most average). I know where all this weight lies...it will eventually, comfortably lodge itself in parts that would prevent my jeans from reaching my waist or my dress from cascading below it.

It may not sound much, but for someone who has a wardrobe full of clothes that don't have room for growth, it could spell financial disaster - total wardrobe overhaul financing dilemma. I not only have to rethink these damn pancakes but I also have to go back to playing tennis and planning my meals....after summer vacation. Goodluck to me as this particular vacation will entail a lot of eating adding more pounds that will need greater effort to dismiss. First things first, no more pancakes...at midnight, that is.

Bookmark and Share

2 Comments:

Jean-Luc Picard said...

Always a pleasure to come across a new blog. Having pancakes at midnight sounds very tasty!

Michele sent me.

carmilevy said...

Pancakes are my favorite anytime!

That you're so in tune with your weight and general state of health is a strong sign that you'll never have a problem managing it. Too many people "let themselves go" and only learn their lessons too late in the game. The way you write, that'll never happen to you - pancakes or no pancakes :)