Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Cartagena, Bogota (Colombia) Here we come

I really should get off my *ss and start packing for Saturday. Except for the packing, I've been quite productive on buying the gifts we are bringing our friends in Bogota. I've got the bag for M (another Filipina married to a Dane, L). The Nica Rhum 'Flor de Caña', ground coffee and coffee beans Nicaragua is known for, T has with him in Panama already - who we'll meet there (in Panama) to fly together to Cartagena.

Tomorrow, I only need to buy the cigars and pick-up the t-shirts we ordered for L with the Sandino silhouette design and M's 'Olvidalo no peude mantenerme' (I have one of those - chuckle). Buying 'pasalubong' - homecoming gifts (not that we're coming home to them) here in Nicaragua has been a challenge to say the least and it's not even about the prices. But that's for another blog.

Although excited about the trip, it tires me to think about the stuff I need to pack for V and myself. T & I have agreed to not bring too much clothes as we plan to shop in Bogota. To solve our shopping predicament here in Nicaragua, we take opportunities like this to do some hardcore shopping when we travel.

To digress a bit, the best shopping we've had so far (outside the outlet malls in the US and Century 21 in New York - only a shopping warrior can survive that place) has been in Panama but I've also heard from many that El Salvador is considered a shopping haven because of the prices and the range of selection.

Now, why would packing for a 2 week vacation be tiresome? Cartagena being on the Carribean coast of Colombia is all tropical and sunny. We're talking about bikinis, trunks, light weight wear; while Bogota, the capital is the 3rd highest major city in the world (the first being La Paz in Bolivia). Meaning boots, jacket, long sleeves, jeans...anything to keep warm in and therefore bulky and heavy.

Do I sound like I'm complaining? No way, I'm ecstatic. Just have a hard time seeing these 2 types of clothing together - in my mind.

0 Comments: