Thursday, March 13, 2008

Mañana + Mañana = Probably never

I tried to do most if not all my errands today (received an email from T with a list of more things to buy and to bring with us) so tomorrow, I can relax and concentrate on just packing. Plus, I found out that our flight on Saturday is at 8:00 am, meaning that we have to be at the airport no later than 6:30, therefore Friday will have to be NOT frantic.

I managed to do most of it except for the t-shirts which I should have picked up yesterday. But then I thought, well, it's paid for and ready, no harm in putting pick-up off to today. So, I jolly-golly pranced off (remember, I'm now very excited about the trip) to Metro Centro (a mall) to get what's due me. Indeed, due me, I got - they weren't ready!

'Mañana seran listas' (tomorrow, they will be ready), she says.
'A que hora?'(at what time), I ask
'Como alas doce' (around 12:00)
'Por favor, no lo puede hacer mas temprano?'(please, can you have it ready earlier), I plead
'Bueno, talvez alas diez (maybe (operative word) at 10:00)

So went our conversation and dejectedly, I left but only after muttering to myself: 'Vamos a ver' (let's see).

Would it have changed things if I went ahead and picked them up yesterday? Sure, then it would have been ready today.

On a related incident, the contractor who was to come and change the motor of our electric pump last Saturday, was a no show. No calls, no excuses, nada. This morning he did call to say that he's coming this Saturday instead. I said I'm sorry, you can't because we'll be out of the country and therefore will not be able to work on it while we're away. I have a feeling that the new motor will be seating there for awhile.

We Filipinos are likewise cursed with the mañana habit, maybe inherited from the Spaniards of yore. It doesn't help to be a Filipino in a Latino country cursed with the same influence. My mañana and their mañana, together, is something...waiting not to happen.

0 Comments: