Wednesday, March 12, 2008

What's for Dinner?

For dinner, I unbelievably craved for a local Filipino dish called 'Binagoongang Baboy'. So, as usual I scoured the internet for the recipe. Although I have here my ever faithful recipe book called 'Recipes of the Philippines' (compiled and edited) by Enriqueta David - Perez, that has followed me on every post we've been to, it (amazingly) did not contain the recipe for 'Binagoongang Baboy'.

Bagoong is fermented shrimp paste commonly used in Asian cuisine and Baboy is pork, entonces, it's really just Pork sauteed in shrimp paste.

Binagoongang Baboy

Ingredients

1 kilo pork with fat (cut into chunk cubes)
2 cups bagoong alamang
1 head of garlic (minced)
1 big onion (minced) 4 tomatoes (diced)
4 chili peppers (minced)
? cup vinegar (note: probably meant to taste)
4 tablespoons brown sugar
? cup water (note: maybe depending on desired consistency)

1. In a casserole, boil pork and lower fire until water evaporates and pork oil starts to come out.
2. When pork is lightly crispy, put aside and saute garlic, onion, tomatoes and chili peppers and in pork fat. Add pork once more.
3. Add the bagoong and cook while stirring for 5minutes.
4. Pour vinegar and stir well.
5. Add the sugar and let simmer for 10 minutes or just until cooked.
6. Serve hot.

You may want to tone down on the quantity of sugar and vinegar if you're using Barrio Fiesta's 'Ginisang (sauteed) Bagoong' as it's already pre-cooked and would therefore have the right amount of sugar and vinegar.

I put in coconut milk for an added twist and served it with bagoong rice (also) with coconut milk. Yummm, this should last me another 6 months before the next craving. Oh, and where would I get bagoong here in Nicaragua, you ask? I have an almost unlimited supply (because I make sure I don't run out) of Barrio Fiesta Ginisang Bagoong that I bring back with me together with my Sinigang Mix each time I go home to the Philippines.



0 Comments: