Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Shopping Nicaraguan style

If there's anything at all to complain about here in Nicaragua, for me, it's the lack of shopping possibilities. Before I go on, let me first qualify my shopping style. I try not to buy at full price unless it's something I absolutely need (yeah, right...that would be T saying that) and bargain hunting to me is a sport, therefore buying something for half its original price is like winning an Olympic medal. I like having choices and am very patient going from store to store, comparing products and prices before I make a decision. If anything catches my fancy (definitely whimsical) I sleep on it to see if the desire to possess would linger for more than 48 hours. If it does, I succumb, if not, I move on.

It's almost impossible for me to buy anything that come with Danish prices but Chinese quality in a country considered as the 2nd poorest in the Western Hemisphere (after Haiti) - go figure. Problem is I like to shop, especially for clothes, shoes and bags. The real problem I think is lack of competition. It's the shop owners who dictates the price (most of the time outrageous) rather than the market. It's like a chicken or egg thing - not enough market to warrant competition. The rich Nicaraguans travel to Miami, Panama or El Salvador to shop.

People would tell me to go to the Public Markets like Huembes and Mercado Oriental....which I of course did but there are times (most of the time) I would like to shop for quality items at reasonable, or at the very least, fair prices, then public market for sure it ain't. It's not even an assurance to get low priced goods (leave quality out of this) in Huembes.

There are 4 name brand stores here in Managua: Nine West, Tommy Hilfiger, Guess and Benetton, well 5 if you count Oshkosh B'Gosh (which serves me no purpose). These shops' prices are 20 - 30% more than the same stores in the US. I have personally seen a couple of these stores' virtually unchanged inventory since I came here in Oct 2006 up 'til recently. I have also experienced a shop's jacking up of its regular price and pretend to offer a discount.

I am therefore, always on the look out for shops that offer unique, quality merchandise sold at fair prices. I have found a couple this year...yes, it took me a year to find them (in fairness, one of them is new).

Kuero
10.5 Carretera a Masaya
Material: Nicaraguan Leather
Prices: Between $80 - 150
I bought 3 immediately. One is a gift but also when I find good shops like this, you never know how long it's going to thrive. I have seen 4 shops close down in La Galeria last year alone where other shops took over, only to close down again.

Clockwise: The shop's interior; gf A modeling her purchase and Maria, the ever attentive, congenial shop assistant.

Spices and Sugar - A new clothes shop in Granada. Sorry, I can't give you an address (you know how directions are here in Nicaragua) but I can take you there. Just leave a comment if you're interested.

Material: Mostly raw cotton mixed with other natural and synthetic fibers.
Prices: Between $35 - 120



Clockwise: T outside the shop, inside the cozy shop with the owner and their 'tarjeta'.

I did not buy anything at the time I was there as the dress I wanted (made of pure raw cotton - itch, itch - although I was assured that it will soften substantially after 'some' washing) was only available in medium and large. I ordered a small (sizes here are bigger than in Asia) which should be ready this week, as promised...let's see...after all this is Nicaragua and 'mañana' is the norm.

2 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Meloy,
Pag, hinde mo na type ang mga bags, you know my address. Antique

Melody said...

Ha-ha Tita Anne. Matagal pa ko uuwi, so if you can wait...teka, baka si Mama Loleng 'to ah.