Monday, March 3, 2008

Meeting Prince Henrik of Denmark

The Royal Danish Embassy yesterday held a reception for Prince Henrik and the Danish community at the Ambassador's residence. As we were invited, I was of course at my wit's end on what to wear and how to behave. You see I'm not used to meeting Royalty nor am I used to Royalty period. Although T's work might call for that possibility at some point, it never really occurred to me that it just might be possible to be in a situation where I would be face-to-face saying 'Your Royal Highness' while shaking his hand. Worse, T was not even around to carry me through (or prevent) any probable faux pas I might inadvertently do. He left early yesterday morning for Panama (work related) but has had quality moments with the Prince the whole day, showing Prince Henrik around Managua and neighboring provinces on his first day and an intimate Embassy dinner that same evening...guess he's okay.

I need not have worried. The affair was relaxed, I guess, brought on by the fact that the Danes....just are. Prince Henrik is originally French but has lived in Denmark for the longest time and can therefore, speak Danish fluently, which he did the whole time. Whatever they say about his accent, I must say, I understood him perfectly as he spoke Danish slowly but clearly and being a foreigner myself speaking Danish painfully (ooohhh the Å, Ø, Æ and soft Ds of the language), I actually heard each and every word clearly more than from any Copenhagener (Københavnsk - I hope I got that one right) I know including T.

It was also an intimate event, I'd say attended by no more than 40 people. No photos were taken (or at least no press) - although I was dying to have my photo taken with him, to respect His Royal Highness' privacy, I did not even take my camera out of my tiny evening bag which can only hold one tiny thing - I debated between my camera and my touch-up powder, the camera won. I did have an eerie feeling that he would have agreed if I asked, but since I decided against it at the end and just enjoyed the evening catching up with the community, I'll never know.

Prince Henrik himself was very relaxed and well, normal (what was I expecting, honestly...I don't know), jovial and well, normal. What else can I say. I guess what I am trying to say is that I expected the event to be stiff - let's just say I have been in the presence of more uptight and pompous heads of states or people in lesser positions.

Times like these, I really admire the Danes. The Royal family in Denmark is one of the oldest if not THE oldest Royalty in existence and for a society to evolve as one of the most modern society holding the oldest tradition, they sure know how to take it in stride.

I would have been more thrilled if Queen Margarethe, of course, joined him in his detour (from a state visit to Mexico) but I guess, that would be asking too much.

One for the bucket indeed.

0 Comments: